Shop Information

Robert Hamlin Bicycles is not open.

Saturday, July 19, 2008

At Last, A New Post

I'm on vacation. I'm back home in north Florida for the weekend, for my sister Lynn's 50th birthday. I've slowed down a little. I needed a break. My mind and body are still tired from working seven days a week for the last four months, but I'm strong enough to finally post. I'm sorry for staying quiet for so long; I know my sisters have missed an up to date blog. Perhaps, some have even missed the poetry.

Like still black water
Spanish moss on the live oaks
My life moves slower

I've missed the lake
Panicum, green, wet, and tall
Meadowbeauty, pink

Running Recycled & New Bicycles has been hard as of late, a product of my own success, a control freak completely out of control. I've become another in a long line of jaded bike shop owners, my emotions constantly changing between exuberance, anger, depression, and giddiness. All or nothing, I've allowed myself to become consumed. I've made a lot of people happy, and I've even changed a few lives. Last week as I pedaled to Smith's, I saw three people on Redline Bicycles. A few days before that, I was passed by a customer on a Conquest Sport. She was flying.

I've also made people angry. I've even lost a few friends. I've been flamed on my own blog. There are customers who have been waiting for over a month to get their bikes worked on. These things I truly regret. If I have hurt your feelings or pissed you off, I am sorry. If I cussed you and told you to "get the hell out of my shop" that was uncalled for and I was wrong. Nothing is worth losing friends.

That said, there will be some changes at the shop. I'm not sure what these changes will entail. I don't know if I will be selling new or used bikes next year, or running a bicycle cooperative, or operating a mobile repair service. Who knows? I may even be a wildlife ecologist again. I do know that there have been many days standing in the shop juggling tools, customers, invoices, tubes, and cog sets, and asking myself, "for this, I earned a graduate degree?" I also know I can not go for weeks without a real bike ride. My heart and mind wont allow it. Palpitations and depression are unacceptable. Saturdays with my family and evening meals before 8:00 pm are pretty important too. I may even keep a regular blog. Like a long ride on a fixed gear bicycle, putting my feelings into words for the world to see is cheap therapy. Thanks for reading.

8 comments:

  1. Hey Hamlin, thanks for posting and being so passionate about the wheels. how about recruiting an apprentice, a young mind mechanically inclined and will work for the experience. Every once in awhile there's a teen out there swift enough to take that opportunity. I hope one comes your way to free up your time.

    Good Luck!

    -Keri

    ReplyDelete
  2. Recycled And New BicyclesJuly 20, 2008 at 7:51 AM

    Thanks for the comment. I have a gray-haired apprentice, Cody Jones. Like Allen Iverson, Cody is "The Answer." Like Jim, he is a UBI frame building school graduate.

    The problem is I'm a control freak.

    Hey, we started playing polo here in Logan!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Recycled And New BicyclesJuly 20, 2008 at 7:58 AM

    How long has my Google/Blogger Identity been misspelled? Jeez.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Recycled And New BicyclesJuly 20, 2008 at 8:03 AM

    Perhaps it was the "&"? Another Blogger bug?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey Robert,
    Good to see you write again. Thank you for coming for my birthday. It made turning 50 a pleasure.
    I love you and miss you already,
    Lynn

    ReplyDelete
  6. Robert, I miss you and the shop. I can't wait to be out of New York and back in Logan having Coffee with you and John in the shop. I hope your summer keeps going well. I'll have money for you when I get back. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Recycled And New BicyclesJuly 24, 2008 at 5:09 PM

    Good to hear from you! Can you bring back a slice of "real" nyc cheese pizza? You could fit 4 xl pies in your red bag.

    ReplyDelete
  8. You've made many more people glad than angry- myself being one of them. The raleigh and I are loving the fixed life (now just to build the strength to go up and down that damned hill on 8th up to campus! lol)

    and I wanted to ask you a question- do you know of a place i can get a helmet that will fit a 26.5" head (at the minimum)? My dreads are making standard sizing difficult. and I would rather not die while flying free

    ReplyDelete

Blog Archive