Shop Information

Robert Hamlin Bicycles is not open.

Thursday, January 29, 2009

The Economy

Today's version of The Diane Rehm Show is pretty good. The title is The Global Economic Crisis. World global output was projected at about 2.5%, but is now down to 0.5%. This is good news. I wrote the following last year at this time (like yesterday, I am forcing you to read it again):

I know for sure that our economy can not and will not continue to grow. A fossil fuel, consumer-based economy is a dying economy. My question is, why is growth the goal? Why grow? To what end? Aren't our leaders smarter than that? All they can think of is a tax cut so we can take the extra cash and buy more unnecessary plastic items. This is smart? I look forward to the day when a reporter says "the economy shrank last year...less houses, less cars, less corporations, less sprawl, and less items purchased from Wal Mart." Sure, when this happens my life will be hard. I am OK with that. My life is hard already, hard by choice.


So, we only have 0.5% to go! Everyone, slow down.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive