Shop Information

Robert Hamlin Bicycles is not open.

Saturday, December 30, 2006

Pulse of a Community

If you ever want to do a pulse check on your community, all you have to do is go downtown and listen to some live music. Do you have live music? Yeah, we have that here in Logan. There is music at the Caffe Ibis most Friday and Saturday nights. Holly Conger books the musicians, and deserves a giant thank you. Thank you, Holly.

Tonight I went to the Ibis and listened to Jason Riggs. Jason has a day job but is working hard trying to make a living by singing his songs. He is really good. He sings with heart, and I enjoy his music. The sad part is that on most nights there are few people who come to listen. Tonight the place was almost empty.

Speaking of supporting downtown businesses, I heard today that the Bombshell Exchange is gone. Who is next? If we do not support downtown Logan, it will die. This weekend I bought a wool hat for Patty at the Sportsman. Sure I could have paid 30% less by going to Gart's (not Gart's anymore) or to another store along strip mall heaven on the north end of town. Why would anyone support stores up there? Because we love to drive our cars. It makes me question the wisdom of opening a new bike shop downtown. If I build it, will they come? If I open, will 1 Cognito Bicycles survive? Let's find out.

On a positive note, I found a really good tea tonight, Zhena's Gypsy Tea. The organic Gypsy King Chai is fantastic.

I did not ride my bicycle today. I am putting on a Mary Bar and turning it back into a mountain bike for a while. It may even get two brakes and a freewheel. Instead of riding, I went for a one-hour trail run with J.B. Boy do my legs hurt.

1 comment:

  1. dc's music scene is vibrant...

    people always think NY-New Orleans-Austin
    well...
    DC has its own jazz, blues, rock, and of course punk and go-go
    you just have to know where to go

    most of the stuff I follow is a tangent around the 18th Street Lounge label vibe

    great stuff....

    recently I saw a band centered around sitar called International Velvet
    which has several members from a reggae band SEE-I

    yes... people in dc are a bit uptight
    but there are moments where they loosen up a bit

    ReplyDelete

Blog Archive