Shop Information

Robert Hamlin Bicycles is not open.

Saturday, January 6, 2007

She Can Read!


It's my blog. I can write about things other than bicycles. I want to tell everyone how quickly my child, Lupine, is learning to read. Yesterday, I went to kindergarten with Lupine to help out. Some of the children can read quite well. Some can barely write their names. One little girl, Andi, reads on a second or third grade level. "Wow, she reads so well," I told her Mom. "Have you heard of Starfall?" she said.

There was a time when I would make fun of people who had cell phones, walking and driving around while having the most important of conversations. There was a time when I was sure too many people were spending way too much time on the Internet. Gees, who needs an Internet forum about single speed bicycles? Why is there a web site for fixed gear off road bicycles? Well, we all change don't we. I have a cell phone and I will never have a land line again. Call me, not my house, right? I have not posted to the mtbr single speed site in over two years, but there was a time when Juan Speed (me) was all over this forum. My point is this: you have to keep your finger on the pulse of modern technology or you may miss out on some valuable information and tools. Just use your finger rather than your entire body and soul. How could I have not known about starfall? Where have I been?

Lupine and I went to the starfall site last night. She quickly went through the first three steps on the Learn to Read page. That Zac the Rat is some character isn't he? This morning Lupine has completed steps 4, 5, and 6. In less than a day she has gone from tentatively and painfully sounding out a few words to actually reading. This site is just incredible. It is very interactive. If there is a word she can't sound out she can click on it for help. Each step builds on itself. Wow. You have to check it out. My sister Lynn is going to love it!

Thanks starfall.com
for helping Lupine to read.
Wow, technology.

3 comments:

  1. Hi Robert,
    Its so exciting when they start reading! Starfall is a great site. We learned about the site when Billy was in Kindergarten. He really liked it too! The link to my site is
    http://www.helpstudents.info/
    Thanks for the reminder about Starfall, I will it to the teacher resource page.
    love! lynn

    ReplyDelete
  2. FUCK CELLPHONES! THE WORK OF THE CHRISTIAN DEVIL!


    See Dick run. See Dick and Jane run. See Dick beat the shit out of Jane.


    That is how I learned how to read when I was 4.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I remember those books, Peter. I mean, anonymous.

    ReplyDelete

Blog Archive