Shop Information

Robert Hamlin Bicycles is not open.

Friday, April 3, 2009

Can I Do A Short Rant, Please?

Support you local bike shop. They probably have a lot of knowledge about bicycles and bicycle fit. It may cost a little more up front, but buying a bicycle from a professional will save you money and discomfort in the long run.

Yesterday, I got this call:

"Hey, it's Ringo, I'm a friend of John. I came in there, oh, about a month ago looking for a triathlon bike for my wife. Yeah, I pumped you for information for a half hour, and well, I bought her a bike on EBay. She does not like the bars. It has shifters on the end. Do you have any cheap used bars, you know, road bars. I also need brake/shift levers. I want Ultegra or 105 level stuff. Do you have those cheap or used?"

I lost it. I told him to go look on the Internet for cheap parts and hung up on him.

I never got to tell him that new 105 levers would cost $279, a good bar $79, a stem for proper position (different than time trial bar position) $59, new bar wrap $12, plus $80 labor to take the old stuff off, put the new stuff on, wrap the bars, and adjust the derailleurs and brakes. I knew what his reaction would be. Could you imagine if I had said this:

"Yes sir, it will be another $509 to make your cheap EBay bike ride like a normal bike. By the way, does the bike fit?"

Bottom line: Find a local bike shop run by a professional you can trust (
if all you see are teenagers, walk out). Listen to the professional when they tell you to buy a $520 entry level road bike that can be used for everyday riding and that anticipated triathlon. Listen to them when they talk about bike fit and function.

Never mind. You have EBay and Google.

4 comments:

  1. Of course you can have a short rant, Robert, or even a long one...

    Nothing wrong with a good rant to clear the air.

    In fact, perhaps ranting should be available on prescription for relief of tension.

    A lot less dangerous and cheaper than pills.

    And with minimal side effects... Mainly involving temporary deafness among the nearest and dearest. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Robert,
    Not a rant, these are facts.
    It seems that people think. Well its only a bike !!!!
    Would you buy some dentures off E Bay ? I dont think so.
    You can just imagine someone ringing dentist. 'Hey i bought these teeth, but they dont quite fit, can you adapt them for me'
    My brother has a cycle shop and he shares you exasperation too.Im pleased that your shops exist for real cyclist who have brains

    ReplyDelete
  3. guess what? some ppl cant afford to pay full price at a local bike shop; finding deals on ebay and other sites is the only way they are able to participate in the sport they love. i hope this person did end up finding those components cheap on ebay.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Recycled And New BicyclesMay 2, 2009 at 2:50 PM

    I agree with you, anonymous. If you know what you are doing, go for it.

    My point is this: if you don't know what you are doing, or need some help, it will save you money to find a lbs you can trust. These people bought a bike that needs parts that cost more than a bike I was trying to sell them. $520, including a free fitting and lifetime adjustments.

    ReplyDelete

Blog Archive