Shop Information

Robert Hamlin Bicycles is not open.

Monday, August 27, 2007

Chinese Graduate Students' Bicycles

I know it has been said many times before, but it's really "not about the bike." It's about the bike you are used to riding. The bike I'm used to is dead. Perhaps dead for a long time, although a new chain stay is not out of the question. The new bike is fine, it's just not my bike. Yet. I have tried to keep my position and feel with my drop bars, stem, wheels, and saddle. The only thing really new is the frame. I rode it with Patty today. We had a good ride. We realized how lucky we are to live in a place where a real mountain bike ride, in real mountains, beside a mountain stream, is just outside our door. The new bike did pretty good. The biggest change is that the rear wheel is just a lot farther back than on the Strong. I will learn to climb with more weight over the rear wheel.

We live just a few blocks from USU's married student housing. Picture the bike racks there full of Next and Huffy bicycles in various states of disrepair and oxidation, all with low tire pressure (TT riders can substitute their experiences near UF's married student housing. Chinese graduate students' bicycles are the same everywhere you go). With this image in mind, here is Today's baiku:

North bound, west sidewalk
Uphill, big ring, walking speed
Crank clanking kickstand

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive