Shop Information

Robert Hamlin Bicycles is not open.

Thursday, August 9, 2007

Social Work

"Can you fix this bike?
I don't have any money.
It is for my son."

Tubes, tire, and used chain
Bike repair is social work.
The boy rides, and smiles.



The Immigrant

"The other bike shop
They sent me here for a wheel.
This one does not work.

This bike cost ten bucks.
I bought it at the DI.
The gears do not work."



The Grandfather

"Here's my daughter's bike.
She's back in Guatemala.
So, she can't pay you.

She's not coming back.
So, you can have her kid's bikes.
Are they worth something?"



Homeless

"That bike you gave me?
I left it in Idaho,
Because the fork broke.

The old bike's still here?
The one with the leather strap
On the derailleur?"

He rides away, south.
Dirty rags and torn blue tarp
His stench in the air.

1 comment:

Blog Archive