Shop Information

Robert Hamlin Bicycles is not open.

Sunday, January 20, 2008

My Turn to Rant

I listened to an episode of To The Best of Our Knowledge this morning as I made my coffee. One segment covered The Apocalypse Reader, 34 short stories about the end of the world. Hey, it's on everyone's mind. When I listen to or read any form of news almost every story is about the impending drastic changes in our world: the economy, the price of oil, melting ice caps, rising tides, economic stimulus, and political unrest in many countries (this week it is Kenya and upcoming elections in Venezuela). Living on Earth is a great source. Their lead story in every episode is always global warming.

I rode with the TT group in Gainesville on Thursday. It was good to see some of the old guard (Peter, Pat, and Bryan) and some of the old trails. The talk of the group, when we talk, is always about carbon footprints and sustainability. Conversations about biodiesel versus bicycle and quick inflation with a CO2 cartridge versus a re-usable plastic pump are common. Isn't that funny, CO2 vs. plastic pump? Gees, Louise!

So yes, I'm always thinking about these things, the apocalypse, the economy, and sustainability, thinking about them as I continue to lead a comfortable, nearly-average American life. I have reached a few conclusions, however. First, walking is the only sustainable form of transportation. Don't think for a second that bicycles are sustainable. If all the metal parts were made of recycled materials fabricated with solar energy and there were no petroleum based tires, tubes, and grips, well then, perhaps. I will continue to ride my bike, don't misunderstand me. I may even try to go without a car at all. I'm just saying that pondering how to inflate a butyl tube with the smallest footprint is a waste of time. Next, I know for sure that our economy can not and will not continue to grow. A fossil fuel, consumer-based economy is a dying economy. My question is, why is growth the goal? Why grow? To what end? Aren't our leaders smarter than that? All they can think of is a tax cut so we can take the extra cash and buy more unnecessary plastic items. This is smart? I look forward to the day when a reporter says "the economy shrank last year...less houses, less cars, less corporations, less sprawl, and less items purchased from Wal Mart." Sure, when this happens my life will be hard. I am OK with that. My life is hard already, hard by choice. When the apocalypse happens, I'll still be on my bicycle. When bicycle tubes can't be found, I will walk.

Rant over.

1 comment:

  1. Robert, nice rant, I agree with your ideas, now only if the rest of America would. If you continue to rant, I will read. . . (even if you don’t rant, I will read.)

    ReplyDelete

Blog Archive