Shop Information

Robert Hamlin Bicycles is not open.

Wednesday, January 30, 2008

Basho

There is a great article about Matsuo Basho in February's National Geographic. Basho was a haiku poet in 17th century Japan. A Zen Buddhist, he embarked on spiritual journeys walking around Honshu "shedding all worldly belongings and casting fate to the winds...paying heed to nature's modest drama." I started reading Basho's poetry and prose in 1988. My poetry here in this blog is inspired by his work. Riding a bicycle is a spiritual journey for me, my Buddhist path, slow enough to observe the fleeting ephemeral essence of the natural world and my own life.

We begin another journey today. We are packing up to head back to Logan. We should be on the road for 6 or 7 days. Leaving my Florida home rips me right in half. This place is in my heart; it is part of me. More than just familiar, it is what I know. Florida's ecosystems have become deeply rooted in my soul.

Our journey begins
As the chickasaw plums bloom
There's sand in my shoes

2 comments:

  1. Robert, drive safe. Your Baiku’s inspired me this summer when I was doing a bunch of research and needed a good break to bring back my sanity. I wrote one this morning when I arrived at school – you can delete these or sell them to people who paint billboards, your choice.

    I ride everyday
    On the rusting Nishiki
    The tandem stays in

    Snow slush on my pants
    Winter survival riding
    Better then your car

    ReplyDelete
  2. Drive safe and SHARE the ROAD-

    I guess that you might even be in today... could it be true!!!

    ReplyDelete

Blog Archive