Shop Information

Robert Hamlin Bicycles is not open.

Monday, May 9, 2011

Rivers Rising, Moths Flying

Some are above flood stage.  The City of Nibley is dumping truck load after truck load of old broken concrete slabs on private property along the Blacksmith Fork.  Do they have a 404?  I'd bet money they don't.  I wonder if it's the Bishop's or some other Higher-up's back yard.  I'd bet money on it.  It's the same story, retold over and over.  Keep the water within the banks on your floodplain property so others downstream get the worst of it, where they too, built in the floodplain.  Humans.  Theocracy.  Have you ever read this book?  It's one of my all time favorites.  It changed the way I think about the world.

This morning on Access Utah the host spent an hour complaining about all the insects that make his life so horrible and ruin his never ending efforts to control the natural world.  Good luck, Bryan.  Just keep on spraying your poisons.  The pesticide industry loves your work.  Here are some really interesting facts and numbers about the worlds largest pesticide firms.  Most of them also are the largest seed producing firms.  Nice.

Bicycle riding?  Isn't this blog about bicycle riding?  Yes.  I did two short rides on Saturday.  I went up the River Trail with Paul V.  You can now ride all the way to the scree slope in Spring Hollow.  In the afternoon I tried to ride with Tim S. and David C.  They dropped me on the run-in to Richmond.  I turned west and took the dirt roads home, drifting through the gravel turns on my road tires.  Those tires are coming off today along with the 52x17.  The Maxxis Raze tires are going back on along with the do anything gear of 48x22.  Well, not really do anything.  On Saturday David asked what gear I was running.  I said, "the gear that's never the right one."  We had been stopping for all the stop signs in Smithfield.  The gear was way to big.  Pedaling to Richmond at 29 mph or more, the gear was way too small.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive