Shop Information

Robert Hamlin Bicycles is not open.

Monday, April 11, 2011

Today's Ride, Last Year's Results

I figured out a way to put an easy gear on the fixed gear cross bike, 44x22.  All I had to do was file just a little more.  When I file all the way through the back of the dropout, I will have gone too far.


So, I needed a test for the new gear.  It snowed about 6 inches this past weekend up on the Deer Fence.  I knew it would be wet.  What the hell?  I put on my neoprene socks and started climbing.  It was hard and wet but I had a great ride.  There were over 100 elk below the fence above River Heights; someone had left a gate open and a big hole in the fence.  That's a good thing.  It's too late for some.  There were six mule deer carcasses, mostly fawns, between Logan Dry Canyon and Providence Canyon, right along the fence, starved to death.  The deer fence is a failed experiment.  Sportsmen and biologists thirty years ago thought it would mean more deer if they could keep them from causing problems in the valley during the winter.  No.  We can reject that hypothesis.

The Deer Fence was snwmd
That word has one syllable
And fouls bicycles

It does not matter
Herriman mud covers mine
I'm gonna leave it

Like your first real kiss
That you will not wash away
Results look too good


Yeah, I know.  If what you did last year still looks good this year, you have not done much this year.  No, I have not.  But, I have plans.

Next post:  more blasts from the past:  The Deer Fence haiku and the Easter Sunday haiku.  Yes, the seagulls are back.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive